A leading diagnostics company has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Analytical Scientist to its team. Your role will be to provide scientific and technical support to the analytical method development activities. Analytical development activities may comprise transfer from third party organizations method optimisation and characterisation and facilitating method transfer to the QC department. You will be an experienced scientist with proven experience in analytical method development and in a broad range of analytical techniques including the following: qPCR handling and analysing nucleic acids ELISA SDS-PAGE western blotting.
- Work within a small team of scientists and technicians performing analytical method transfer and development activities in accordance with the existing procedural framework at Sekisui – to enable rapid and efficient project progress with a focus on delivering exceptional data quality and scientific support to our customers.
- Work under overall project plans adhering to project timelines and delivering work input goals and milestones. This will require working on multiple projects concurrently.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership to analytical method development projects including generation of analytical methods authoring of method protocols and design of development and transfer studies.
- Co-ordinate analytical activities performed by external partners and/or contract testing laboratories.
- Dedicate a significant proportion of your time (target 50-60% overall) to performing hands-on laboratory work and analysing primary data.
- Prepare reports for internal and external customers in different formats for use in client discussions and closing of project milestones.
- Engage directly with internal and external customers to communicate complex scientific information in a clear and concise manner.
- Provide technical and scientific leadership for the development of junior technicians and scientists in R&D. This may include mentoring and/or technical supervision.
- Actively seek to improve the analytical capabilities of the group through identification of new technologies and sourcing solutions to improve throughput and precision.
- Assist in the development of detailed workflows in the subject matter area highlighting standard work operations and the time/resource that each should take as the basis for R&D capacity planning.
- Provide support to Upstream or Downstream R&D functions as project plans require (determined by the R&D Director/Team Leaders).
- Fully support and comply with R&D laboratory working practices. Contribute fully to all communal lab responsibilities setting a leading example to other staff.
Education / Experience:
- Educated to at least BSc level in a relevant scientific discipline with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a (bio)pharmaceutical/biotechnology role.
- A PhD in a relevant scientific discipline would be advantageous.
Essential Skills / Pre-requisites:
- Strong scientific knowledge with extensive experience of performing analytical method development activities in a relevant industrial setting.
- Extensive practical experience of one or more of the following technologies: HPLC and/or mass spectrometry analysis of biological molecules ligand binding methods (e.g. Surface Plasmon Resonance)
- Broad experience of a range of additional analytical techniques including most of the following: qPCR handling and analysing nucleic acids ELISA SDS-PAGE western blotting and immunodevelopment capillary electrophoresis Bioanalyser/lab chip systems microbiological analyses (Bioburden and bacterial endotoxins).
- A focus on delivering on project timelines supported by a meticulous approach to work planning.
- An ability to work collaboratively whilst taking responsibility for progressing designated project work.
- Demonstrable experience of communicating complex scientific information to colleagues and third parties.
Desirable Skills / Pre-requisites (on-the-job training may be required):
- Experience of working in a GMP or ISO13485-compliant environment.
- Experience of analytical method transfer between laboratories.
- Oversight and/or performance of analytical method validation.
- Proficient in application of Quality by Design and Design of Experiments.
Salary £35k - £45k
Job Ref: 6539