An innovative start-up has an exciting opportunity for a Bioprocessing Scientist to join its team. You will be one of the first in the R&D team working on the design and development of bioreactor technology to produce ground-breaking new technology. You must have proven experience in upstream bioprocessing development bioreactors and with aseptic cell culture.
As a Biochemical Engineer in the Bioreactors R&D Team you will be tasked with developing the manufacturing process to produce exciting new technology to an industrial scale. Your duties will include:
- Design and develop bioreactor technology to enable efficient expansion and differentiation of stem cell cultures.
- Design plan and execute R&D experiments ensuring that deliverables are successfully met within timeline.
- Analyse summarise record and communicate experimental results.
- Document research findings clearly in an electronic lab book.
- Along with team members provide routine laboratory maintenance including participating in equipment upkeep cleaning rotas and laboratory consumables stock management.
- Select follow and adapt experimental protocols and generate laboratory SOPs.
- Support the preparation of laboratory risk assessments and maintenance of health and safety protocols.
- Ensure that laboratory health safety and quality procedures are followed.
- Participate regularly in group meetings and prepare and deliver presentations to project team and internal stakeholders.
Master or PhD in Chemical Engineering Biochemical Engineering Biotechnology or related field.
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Two or more years’ experience in upstream bioprocess development in an industrial or academic setting.
- Experience in designing developing and operating bioreactors
- Substantial experience in aseptic cell culture ideally with primary stem cells.
- Experience with statistical software and DoE (design of experiments).
- Appreciation of Quality by Design principles.
- Ability to develop mechanical designs PFD P&IDs HAZOP and SOPs.
- Experience with CAD (e.g. Autodesk) and CFD (e.g. Ansys Fluent) software packages.
- Ability to use a programming language (e.g. MATLAB R) would be a bonus.
Skills and personality traits:
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken.
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Able to multitask.
- Happy in a small team.
Salary £35k - £37k
Job Ref: 6520