An innovative start-up has an exciting opportunity for a Cell Biology Leader to join its team. This is a leadership role, where your primary focus will be to develop cell biology protocols that support low cost, large-scale, reproducible manufacturing processes. You will have PhD in a life science and significant experience in cell biology in an industrial R&D environment.
- Design, plan, and implement R&D Cell Biology activities, ensuring that deliverables are successfully met within timeline
- Lead on the development and implementation of strategies to optimise cell growth for all cell types (stem, satellite, adipose, co-culture cells, …)
- Work closely with your R&D Cell Biology team, providing guidance and coaching to develop their skills
- Provide written and verbal progress reports to the CEO and VP Research & Development, including presenting at Board meetings when required
- Participate as a key member of the R&D management team with responsibility for day-to-day decision making within your team
- Determine the most appropriate methodologies to test hypotheses, and identify suitable alternatives if technical problems arise
- Gather, analyse, and present scientific data from a variety of sources
- Document research findings clearly in an electronic lab book
- Select, follow, and adapt experimental protocols and generate laboratory SOPs
- Support general laboratory management and administration, including stock control of laboratory consumables
- Support the preparation of laboratory risk assessments and maintenance of health and safety protocols
- Contribute to discussions and share research findings with colleagues in partner institutions, and research groups (as required)
- Represent Ivy Farm at conferences and/or industry meetings (as required)
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- PhD in life sciences related subject; e.g. cell biology, biochemistry, with experience in stem cell biology OR extensive experience in stem cell culture, differentiation and cell engineering
- 4+ years delivering R&D objectives in an academic or corporate environment
- In-depth expertise in cell biology and protocol development
- Management experience leading a research team with a proven track record of success
- Molecular biology skills e.g. PCR and/or qPCR
- Immunofluorescence and flow cytometry experience
- Experience with maintaining and differentiating mammalian ESCs and iPSCs
- Experience with muscle cells is a bonus
- Experience refining protocols and methodologies to reduce cost base
- Successful track-record of project management
SKILLS & PERSONALITY TRAITS
- Flexible problem-solver with a desire to “roll-up-your-sleeves” to get things done
- Focussed executor, who understand the importance of key goals and milestones, able to deliver efficiently and effectively within budget
- Straightforward communicator, with an openness and honesty to bring clarity and drive alignment to encourage swift decision making
- Motivational manager, aware of team dynamics with an ability to get the best out of a diverse group of personalities
- Credibility as a presenter, able to translate complex scientific concepts to a range of expert and non-expert audiences
- Read, write and speak fluent English
- Authorized to work in the UK
WHO YOU ARE
You are a positive and pro-active person who wants to move into a new role in a fast-growing new start-up. You are science/data driven but have an interest in business and a willingness to learn about this specialist industry.
You are looking for a company that will provide interesting project work and hands-on training. The purpose of the work must be clear with a company mission you can believe in.
You are pursuing a career where a job title is not considered the final definition and there is plenty of opportunity to shape a growing organisation.
This is a start-up, fast paced organization. The desire and ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment are critical. Some travel will be required.
Salary £40k - £50k
Job Ref: 6563