A growing personal care and cosmetic manufacturer requires an experienced Development Chemist to join its NPD team. You will have the opportunity to support on the development of a range of popular brands, from initial concept through to commercialization. You must have proven experience in the development of personal care and/or cosmetic products.
- Create new product development formulations including blue sky, from the laboratory through to commercialisation, managing NPD trials for new products and processes for potential new and existing accounts. The will involve provision of product formulations and technical evaluation for NPD projects.
- Manage all assigned projects to ensure product performance, safety and timescale adherence.
- Ensure that all formulation and product stability trials are conducted to ensure the product shelf life, as well as organising and creating raw material, product and customer specifications for new NPD and existing products.
- Design and develop formulations and new product concepts to meet market trends. Present these concepts to the wider team and customers, offering technical support and guidance.
- Lead the development and project management for NPD launches.
- Manage the planning and execution of external product testing with assistance from the Technical Administrator, including all associated resources to meet committed delivery dates.
- Manage the time line plan (Critical path) with New Product Development projects.
- Product costing, to establish an achievable target product cost.
- Provide documentation to assist the technical administrator in the preparation of Product Information Files (PIFs) and safety assessments for new products developed.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Degree qualified, or equivalent, in Chemistry or Science, preferably Cosmetic Science. However, SCS diploma will be considered, with significant experience of working in technical roles and supporting development projects.
- Experience of/with:
- The formulation, development and management of personal care, bath & body care, skin care and hair care.
- The development of projects and/or line extensions.
- Supporting new product launches form brief stage through to stability testing, challenge testing, CPSR and any other relevant testing ensuring timings and deadlines are met throughout for a successful launch.
- Contract manufacturing of low cost to premium branded and organic/natural products would be an advantage.
- Good knowledge of basic chemistry, including emulsions, emollients, sunscreens and surfactants is essential. Knowledge of formulating bath and body, skin care, hair care, hair styling, sunscreens or organic/natural would be advantageous.
- Interpersonal skills and cross functional working abilities.
- Good communication skills (both verbal and written), conveying views and ideas logically and gives formal presentations internally and/or externally. Interacts effectively within project teams and takes responsibility for delivering work plans.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Word and Excel.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with the ability to work unsupervised, using their own initiative, with a passion for cosmetics
- Good organisation skills and time management, with the ability to plan, conduct and report laboratory experiments carefully and accurately
- Good problem solving skills, and experience of working to GMP, BRC standards.
SALARY & WORKING HOURS
£33,000 - £36,000 depending on experience.
Full time, Monday to Friday, normal office hours.
30 days holiday including bank holidays with the option to purchase 5 extra days.
Job Ref: 5770