A leading supplier to the food and beverage industry has an exciting opportunity for an experienced flavourist to join the team. As a flavourist, you will be responsible for the creation of new and improved flavours within the innovation team. To be considered, you must have previous commercial experience in developing new flavours.
Working under the direction of the Innovations Manager, the role involves the proactive creation of new and improved flavours against time, quality, cost and legislative targets for customer briefs and for the company flavour library. It also involves the development and preparation of application samples for tasting in both the sweet and savoury area across a broad range of food products.
• Create and develop speculatively and against customer briefs, highly innovative and commercially viable products ensuring new development samples are available for the QC dept. and customer sampling including in application.
• Manage allocated NPD projects
• Pro-active flavour creation to develop new and better flavours for the library
• Attending first productions to ensure the product is made to the correct quality for the customer brief
• Support for the QC and QA and Production departments in the investigation and assessment of customer complaints and production issues.
• Supervision and training of the junior technicians in flavour raw materials, flavour development techniques and flavour applications technology
• Organoleptic assessment of competitors’ products, evaluation of new and/or novel raw materials, studying new food/industry/technology trends to keep the company at the forefront of the flavour business.
• Accompany account managers to customer presentations, exhibitions and shows as required.
• Maintenance of adequate records of all work carried out
• Work with Innovations Manager and QA Manager to implement and manage laboratory procedures to ensure compliance with BRC
• Actively promote H&S awareness and fulfil the responsibilities as defined in HSE policies/ codes of practice and lab procedures
• Highlight required areas for improvement and liaise with other Department members to allow completion against set timescales.
• Support Company goals by involvement within area improvement teams
• Responsible for legal compliance of all departmental systems. Maintain BRC A grade status and eliminate audit non conformances
• Manage relationships with external bodies and compliance with relevant quality and regulatory standards
• Identify own training needs to improve Department performance
• Participate fully in relevant training courses
• Generation/review of written procedures for own category/value stream.
• Coach/train unskilled staff where required.
Qualifications and Experience Required
• Previous experience in creative flavour development
• Knowledge of flavourings regulations
• Good IT skills, including proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Good organisational and project management skills
• Self-motivation and positive attitude
• Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of staff
• Organises and checks own work with little need for supervision
• Takes ownership of problems and, where possible, resolves them without passing them upwards
• Is proactive in seeking additional tasks when all assigned tasks have been completed
• Asks for help when it is needed
Competitive Salary in line with experience
Job Ref: 5876