A leading contract testing facility requires an experienced food microbiologist to join its team. As Microbiology Section Head you will lead the microbiology team and provide technical expertise to troubleshoot any out of spec results. You must have proven food microbiology experience and ideally experience in supervising a team. Water microbiology experience will also be considered.
Shift: Sunday to Thursday – 11am – 20:00
Basis: Permanent Full Time
- Efficiently organise and manage the team to ensure that all samples are analysed to a high standard by suitably trained staff within a time limit appropriate to the client expectations.
- To continually review resources including staff equipment and consumables and to inform the Laboratory Manager if they are inadequate to meet the analysis demands.
- Ensure that agreed quality and safety checks are continually adhered to by the team and that all paperwork is completed in full.
- Ensure the client requirements are fully understood before analysis is started and that all samples are checked to ensure that they are suitable for testing prior to work starting.
- Communicate to the client where necessary and appropriate any delays in turnaround or queries regarding individual samples. Manage day to day incoming client communication queries regarding the analysis of their samples.
- Ensure that all staff are properly trained to perform the tasks allocated to them and to keep the Laboratory Manager informed of the progress and performance of all staff.
- Monitor the quality of work and results obtained to ensure that all work undertaken within the team complies with all the HSE Quality Regulatory and accreditation standards and requirements including compliance to internal policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all results obtained by the team are calculated checked and entered into ALimS without delay. Provide support in checking any query results.
- Perform final approval checks on results and act as a certificate signatory.
- Make changes to specification and dilution standing data at the request of the client or through sample type review.
- Be responsible for staff motivation and discipline and assist with recruitment and performance reviews.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a biological or chemistry subject and / or have several years of relevant experience working in a high throughput food microbiology laboratory.
- Technically competent in food and water analysis across a range of methodologies techniques and procedures.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office programs with LIMS and Webtrieve knowledge
- Previous supervisory experience in a laboratory environment.
- Good organisational skills ability to work on own initiative and prioritise workload
- Ability to communicate instructions effectively
- Ability to motivate and inspire a team
Job Ref: 6218