A growing CRO has an exciting opportunity for a graduate Cell Culture Scientist to join its team. You will provide hands-on support to the lab predominantly in the area of tissue culture. To be successful, you will have a degree in either molecular biology, microbiology, or a related subject, and have relevant commercial lab experience.
Duties to include the following
- Maintain healthy mother flasks of stable heterologous and immortalized cell lines according to daily requirements. Employ careful aseptic technique and follow all cell line and cell culture SOPs closely, keeping full and accurate details of procedure.
- Run PCR mycoplasma screen as requested, and complete written and electronic records.
- Provide cells for electrophysiological assays on automated and manual patch clamp platforms as specified by the daily plan, liaising closely with staff and communicating any issues and observations to line manager.
- Provide cells for plate-based assays, seeding plates at required density and pretreating cells and preparing plate wells as required by individual cell line protocols.
- Prepare frozen stocks of ‘assay-ready’ cells to facilitate screening on demand.
- Scale-up supplies of cell line vials stored in liquid nitrogen banks, as requested.
- Monitor inventory and prepare tubes of complete media and dissociation reagents for laboratory cell preparation area, as required.
- Receive new cell lines into the Isolation area and culture until mycoplasma screening has been performed and the health status of cell line is assessed, prior to introduction to the main cell culture facility.
- Carry out housekeeping and restocking duties in cell culture facility.
- Undertake weekly stock-take to highlight ordering required.
- Preparation of reagents and solution for electrophysiological experiments (this requires knowledge of Molarity calculation and pH correction of solutions).
- Administration duties to include opening of post, placing of orders in online procurement system, booking in deliveries on arrival and scanning of delivery notes for Accounts department.
- Stock control and ordering of general laboratory chemicals and consumables.
- Organization of service contracts for laboratory equipment.
- Hep B immunity will be considered an advantage, in addition to Molecular Biology skills.
- BSc (Hons) in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biology or related subject. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- Previous commercial lab experience practising tissue culture
- Understanding of GMP
- Able to receive instruction and take sufficient notes to subsequently implement work to the precise standard required of the person training them.
- Able to maintain accurate written notes for each procedure undertaken.
- Methodical attitude to day to day work, ability to organise and prioritise multiple tasks within each working day.
Salary £20k - £25k
Job Ref: 5673