A global biotech manufacturing company has an exciting opportunity for a Manufacturing Lab Technician to join its Chromatography team. Based in the laboratory and plant, you will divide your time between routine batch chromatography, formulation and freeze drying as well as supporting other areas (Fermentation and Downstream) to manufacture bulk enzymes. To be considered you will have a degree in a life science, although equivalent experience will be considered. They can take people on at range of levels so this could suit you if you’re looking for your first, second or even third role in industry.
Based in the laboratory and plant you will divide your time between routine batch chromatography, formulation and freeze drying as well as supporting other areas (Fermentation and Downstream) to manufacture bulk enzymes. Weighting of these roles will be dependent on the manufacturing plan and workload assigned accordingly through two way discussion with the Shift Supervisor. You will play an important role in the shift team meeting the manufacturing plan in compliance with quality and HS&E. Expectation to support some departmental initiatives, management and activities across the business. Reports to the Shift Supervisor. Future business expansion may give successful candidate opportunities to develop and work within a new GMP facility.
24 h/ 5 days a week role ( Mon- Friday)
- 12 hour shifts
- Start of a shift is either 6 am (day shift) or 6pm (night shift)
- Weeks start on a Monday at 6 am and finish at 6 am on a Saturday morning
- The shift pattern is a 3 week rotations
- First week: Monday and Tuesday day shifts, Wednesday off, Thursday and Friday night shifts, Saturday and Sunday off.
- Second week: Monday and Tuesday off, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday day shifts, Saturday and Sunday off
Third week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday night shifts, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday off
May include some or all of the following :
- Mainly unsupervised Chromatography processing and product freeze drying, controlling and monitoring to a high standard,
- Mainly unsupervised and accurate raw material control, analytical techniques (assays), QC sampling and final product transfer,
- Uses good product, equipment and process knowledge to organise individual workload to meet manufacturing plan,
- Some contribution to short, mid and long-term Production planning (product mix),
- Effluent treatment and services control to a high standard,
- Using technical, logistical and equipment knowledge for some troubleshooting, investigation support and may occasionally propose innovative solutions to manufacturing issues and
- Occasional internal and external communication of these problems, events and solutions,
- Demonstrates compliance with quality assurance (batch records, logs, labelling), HS&E and housekeeping/cleaning standards and
- May support some initiatives and improvements in these areas.
- Plays an important role in shift cross training, mentoring technicians in chromatography processing and freeze drying, using systems and tools to aid their development and assessment,
- Both verbal and written inter-shift communication (handovers, emails etc.) of a good standard,
- May occasionally communicate to a wider audience throughout business,
- Volunteer for one or two additional roles required for shift operations e.g. forklift, first aid,
- Develops new skills for self and shift e.g. QA and material management systems,
- Occasional support for engineering improvements using Kaizen/LEAN/Six Sigma methodologies,
- Occasional support for GPF initiatives and management system improvements using Kaizen/LEAN/Six Sigma methodologies,
- Occasional support for other departments (QA, R&D, Technical Operations, Maintenance & Engineering) across the business in daily activities and improvement projects,
- Occasional support for business teams such as CSR, kaizen, staff forums, KSC etc.
- Experience with chromatography systems, freeze drying, centrifugation
- Experience with shift pattern working, quality systems and high-volume manufacturing environment preferable
- Individuals with manufacturing and shift experience
- Individuals with experience within the Pharmaceutical or Bio-Pharmaceutical Industries would be particularly attractive
- Life Sciences Graduate or related degree looking for their first position in industry (i.e. Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology)
- Individuals with previous working experience in a scientific environment e.g. Laboratory or R&D
Skills / Pre-requisites
- Proactive, keen to challenge and develop
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to multitask
- Technical, scientific, Quality & HS&E courses available.
- Chromatography theory, systems and equipment.
- Kaizen & LEAN / Six Sigma belt training (white but preferably above).
Salary £22k - £30k
Job Ref: 6570