A global organisation that is the industry leader in the manufacturing of industrial fabrics and composite materials is looking to recruit a Materials Scientist to join their state of the art R&D facility, based in Cambridge. As Materials Scientist, you will take a primary focus into the research and development of novel materials whilst having the ability to analyse test data and communicate effectively across groups.
- Research into novel materials.
- Autonomously plan, document, execute all aspects of preparation and testing
- Analyse test data, identify unexpected results, carrying through investigations of suspect or anomalous data to find potential sources to generate reasoned argument
- Present updates, results, problems in a timely manner and through appropriate channels (e.g. verbal, email, report)
- Documentation of findings in a technical report format
- Comply with all HSE requirements and to maintain records to this effect
- Propose, implement, develop, assess, commission:
- New or modified designs for equipment, conscious of IP matters
- Alternative testing methods
- Undertake and champion ancillary tasks within the Experimental Materials Science group by:
- 5S, lean, continuous improvement, health and safety
- Contributing to team goals through brainstorming, discussion, evaluation.
- A technical background in engineering or science disciplines with preference for an MSc or PhD (some modules in materials science would be highly desirable).
- Knowledge and experience of materials and their fracture mechanisms
- Knowledge of the design, structure, fabrication and testing of FRP composite materials
- Ability to road-map routes to obtaining objectives for complex projects
- Hands-on approach to laboratory work combined with good attention to detail
- Ability to critically review data and formulate hypotheses for anomalies, drawing on statistical tools to support conclusions
- Ability to communicate accurate, clear and concise technical updates with detailed observations and deductions based on technical reasoning
- Ability to problem solve and design experiments
In return the company can provide an excellent platform to progress a successful career into research & development, coupled with a competitive salary + benefits
Job Ref: 5618