A leading food manufacturer have an opportunity for a microbiology technician to join their team. Your role will be to carry out microbiological testing studies in support of NPD and troubleshooting. You will have a Degree in biology or related subject, and a minimum of 1-year experience in a UKAS accredited food/water microbiology laboratory.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• To perform challenge testing of products including:
o Culture preparation
o Sample preparation
o Microbiological analysis
o Plate counting
o Data review
• To perform product profiling - pH and water activity analysis for microbiological risk assessment.
• To partake in appropriate, timely and effective response to any microbial food safety issues.
• To perform all duties in accordance with ISO 17025 principles.
• To perform all necessary housekeeping functions and other general duties as required.
• To work within the company H&S requirements.
KNOWLEDGE / QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will have sufficient experience in a UKAS accredited Food/Water Microbiology laboratory, operating at least to a Technician level and will have a working knowledge of all functions including:
• LIMS and sample log in
• Sample preparation and dilution
• Media plating
• Plate reading and reporting
• Product profiling - pH and water activity analysis
• Confirmation tests and pathogen detection tests
• Media preparation
• Culture maintenance and preparation
• Challenge testing including culture/sample preparation and inoculation techniques
However, consideration will be given to candidates with less experience, as full on job training will be provided.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
• Good attention to detail and record keeping
• Proven good organisational abilities and self motivated
• Good scientific discipline and logical approach to working
• Ability to work to agreed protocols and standards
• Ability to work accurately under pressure
• Good inter-personnel skills and good team work
• Ability to multi task
• Good practical skills
• Drive and enthusiasm to carry out tasks within this function