A leading manufacturer of suppliers and herbal medicines has an exciting opportunity for an NPD Scientist to join its team. As an NPD Scientist you will work in the nutrition team where your role will be to offer customers and clients personalised nutrition advice and guidance. You will be involved in both existing and new product development. To be considered you must have proven experience in NPD with food, supplements or related products. You must have a nutrition related qualification.
This role owns the NPD process – from the initial concept through to product launch - and is responsible for driving the process forward working collaboratively with the relevant departments – sales, marketing, technical, regulatory and manufacturing – keeping key stakeholders informed of any outcomes and making sure all their needs are met.
It is also a consumer facing role that deals directly with any customers who want advice or guidance about the company product range and their own needs with regard to vitamin and mineral supplements.
As a VMS industry expert, the NPD Nutritionist will be fully conversant with current industry and EU nutritional legislation and be able to advise the sales and marketing teams about health claims.
New and Existing Product Development
- End to end responsibility for the NPD/EPD process working collaboratively with the relevant departments developing first to market products where you will be bringing pioneering concepts to life as well as ensuring the current portfolio has a competitive edge and keeps the brand’s market leading position.
- Effectively manage the NPD function, by improving existing working methods, whilst ensuring that consistent approaches are adopted, drafting and updating New Product Development procedures including undertaking change control as required or writing new SOP’s and ensuring that all staff are fully compliant.
- Create formulations for new or existing products, collaborating with the technical team as and when required.
- Ensure that commercials are managed throughout the NPD process and that all new products are correctly costed to maximise profitability.
- Implementing regular reporting with key stakeholders to monitors and tracks progress. Ensure NPD meetings are run efficiently and a good record kept of actions.
- Keep up to date with product critical paths.
- Deal with regulatory bodies as and when necessary, keeping up to date with changes to legislation and new research.
- Sourcing new materials and ingredients – in conjunction with the Purchasing Manager.
- Be fully conversant with current industry and EU nutritional legislation to ensure its application to the company and its products.
- Interpreting new legislation and ensuring that all relevant staff are up to speed with any amendments to make sure all products are fully compliant and legal.
- Manage multiple projects, prioritising workload in order to keep the flow of new and existing products moving forward.
- Ensuring all new products meet brand, technical, price and production parameters.
- Drafting and signing off on product specifications, documentation and label artwork including amends.
- Ensuring all food supplement labels reflect the current law.
- Working with the sales and marketing team on product launch plans highlighting the product USP’s, benefits, health claims (if applicable) and providing ideas of what type of activity would help to support the product into market.
- Working with the Marketing Director, Graphic Designer and Regulatory Manager on creation of label artwork to ensure that contains all the relevant ingredients information, the health claims are correct and it’s compliant with regulatory bodies e.g. Trading Standards.
- Ensuring that a full post launch analysis is conducted that covers all aspects of the launch, planning, communication, costings, marketing and PR, product training, production, distribution into market and initial sales.
- Presenting new products in stores to retailers, to potential customers, export customers etc.
- Conducting nutritional research as required and keeping up to date with wellness trends, watching what the competition is up to and seeking out new ideas to keep the company ahead of the game.
- Dealing with all nutritional queries from customers and colleagues alike.
- Training colleagues and export customers on the company product range.
- Providing nutritional support and product information to the sales team with independent retailers across the country as well as meeting with suppliers as required.
- Nutrition or Nutritional Biochemistry Degree or higher qualification
- Registered Nutritionist
- NPD management experience
- Experience in Regulatory/labelling
- Strong Communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, able to network and work within a fast-paced environment
- Passionate about the science behind vitamin, mineral and herbal supplements and bringing new products to market that help people lead healthy and balanced lives
- Process oriented with a keen eye for accuracy and detail
- Adept at prioritising own workload in order to keep the flow of new and existing products moving forward
- Comfortable with deadlines and pressure
- Ability and willingness to travel
Job Ref: 6349