A growing medical device company has an exciting opportunity for an R&D Engineer to join its team. Your role will be to support in both R&D and troubleshooting tasks. You will have an engineering qualification and have hands-on experience with mechanical, fluidic, pneumatic, electrical and electronic components, preferably in systems of lab bench or desk size.
The R&D Product Project Engineer will join the Product & Technology Development group within the Manufacturing & Regulatory team. Working in projects for the development (design, investigation, improvement, optimisation and validation) of clinical diagnostic products, the job combines laboratory and desk activities in a multi-disciplinary team including external collaborators. Projects scope and objectives will be agreed with R&D Leader / Project Manager, for which the job holder is expected to help on defining appropriate methods, design changes or controls that can allow better understanding and improvement of mechanics, fluidics, electronics and general physics in the product systems
- To contribute to the development of existing clinical diagnostic products, associated systems and test environments and the concept and design of new products.
- To perform experimental design and undertake physical and fluid mechanical performance evaluation of the company’s circulating cell isolation products.
- To build and test prototype designs.
- To engineer and instrument devices with electronic and/or thermo-mechanical or acoustic sensors for the characterization of the Company’s products.
- To develop and test approaches for the assessment of product functionality; specifically investigating factors that affect performance and reliability.
- To aid the optimisation of product engineering (e.g. sampling and collecting mechanisms, fluidic path components, sensors and actuators).
- To develop, code and test operating protocols (using a proprietary scripting language) in order to support application and assay development.
- To execute and manage product development activity in compliance with the Company’s NPD system.
- To manage the development and delivery of sub-projects.
- To lead and participate in product failure and root cause investigations.
Qualification, experience and skills
- At minimum higher education in Biomedical, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics or another applicable engineering specialty is essential; Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and equivalent laboratory experience is highly favourable
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, fluidic, pneumatic, electrical and electronic components, preferably in systems of lab bench or desk size.
- Previous biotechnology experience (Medical Devices, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutics) and training in laboratory environment is highly desirable.
- Prior experience with microelectromechanical and microfluidic systems is desirable.
- Computer skills: Conversant with MS Office including Access, MS Project or equivalent and SolidWorks or other CAD software, with the ability to learn new applications.
- Excellent organization skills, ensuring deadlines and expectations are meant, with the ability to manage own workload with minimal supervision whilst maintaining flexibility in job role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and coordination skills.
- Keen to gain understanding of key project management concepts and apply them throughout the project lifecycle, under PMI-PMBOK, PRINCE2 or other structured methodologies.
- Commitment and self-motivation to providing outstanding product development management
Salary £26k - £30k