A global nutrition company has an exciting opportunity an experienced R&D Chemist to join the team. You will be responsible for the development of bench samples and scale up tests for all new formulas. You must have proven product formulation experience within the food or related industry.
DETAILED RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
- Conduct bench size lab scale up and stability testing for pilot readiness.
- Creation of product prototypes
- Liaising with flavor houses and other suppliers to initiate and manage cost saving and/or product improvement projects
- Track and monitor test results and coordinate with the relevant Contract Manufacturer and Tech Ops for any issues.
- On occasion, conduct and/or oversee creation of GMP batches for member testing
- Ensure pilot and bench sample are evaluated to confirm they match Sensory profile.
- Conduct bench trials to support cost savings, dual sourcing and other operations support for post commercialized batches.
- Conduct Sensory evaluations such as organoleptics, cuttings, employee testing to ensure success of bench to pilot scale up.
- Reformulate or revise current formulas, either under guidance from Laboratory Supervisor, Innovation and/or R&D development Krakow.
- Autonomously maintain laboratory and equipment in a clean, organized, safe, accurate, and operable condition including calibration/maintenance schedule.
- Ensure that all ingredients are properly placed in inventory, and that stock is held at 100% and within Shelf Life.
- Undertake training required to expand and enhance own capabilities
- Perform other related duties as required.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Good understanding of raw material function/product shelf life and general sample testing.
- Ability to create kitchen/bench samples of a wide range of product formats, such as powdered beverages, soups, bars, baked goods, etc
- Ability to use sensory data and ingredient manipulation to create optimized flavor profiles at competitive recipe costs
- Understanding of mathematical and scientific principles, and encompass a variety of laboratory duties ranging from maintaining the laboratory workplace to assembly of formulas.
- Good understanding of principles of food safety
- Good understanding of the principles of food manufacture that includes Powders, Tablets, Hard Gel Capsules, Bars and Beverages
- General knowledge of product life cycle.
- Ability to prioritize/manage time/multi-task independently based on business needs, as well as ensures that tasks are delivered in a timely, accurate, and organized manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ensuring that key individuals are properly and accurately informed of activities
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to carry out assignments with minimal supervision.
- Use formulation software such as Agile to import and export data in order to conduct bench work.
- Capability to manage and translate data and information in MS Office; Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Self-motivated to general administrative tasks such as shipping, submission for tests and tracking.
- Good judgment skills and analytical thinking.
- Be able to taste and evaluate raw materials and samples
- 3-5 years of related industry experience, specifically in the pharmaceutical, foods or food supplement industry
- BSc degree with a major in a relevant scientific discipline or GCSE’s/ A levels/HND and a minimum of 5 years industry experience
Salary £25k - £30k
Job Ref: 5608