A growing personal care and cosmetic manufacturer requires a Senior Development Chemist to join its NPD team. You will have the opportunity to support and lead the development of a range of popular brands, from initial concept through to commercialization. You must have proven experience in the development of personal care and/or cosmetic products. Any supervisory or management experience would be an advantage.
- Create new product development formulations including blue sky, from the laboratory through to commercialisation, managing NPD trials for new products and processes for potential new and existing accounts. The will involve provision of product formulations and technical evaluation for NPD projects.
- Manage all assigned projects to ensure product performance, safety and timescale adherence.
- Support and offer guidance to the Development Chemists and Junior Development Chemists and manage the day to day general operation of the NPD lab and technicians.
- Attend industry shows, analyse and interpret market trends, materials and technologies and communicate knowledge gained with NPD and commercial teams.
- Ensure that all formulation and product stability trials are conducted to ensure the product shelf life, as well as organising and creating raw material, product and customer specifications for new NPD and existing products.
- Design and develop formulations and new product concepts to meet market trends. Present these concepts to the wider team and customers, offering technical support and guidance.
- Lead the development and project management for NPD launches.
- Manage the planning and execution of external product testing with assistance from the Technical Administrator, including all associated resources to meet committed delivery dates.
- Manage the time line plan (Critical path) with New Product Development projects.
- Product costing, to establish an achievable target product cost.
- Provide documentation to assist the technical administrator in the preparation of Product Information Files (PIFs) and safety assessments for new products developed.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Degree qualified, or equivalent, in Chemistry or Science, preferably Cosmetic Science. However, SCS diploma will be considered, with significant experience of working in technical roles and supporting development projects.
- Experience of/with:
- The formulation, development and management of personal care, organic/natural, bath & body care, skin care, hair care, foot care, fine fragrances and household laundry products.
- The development of projects as well as line extensions within FMCG
- Supporting a high volume of new product launches
- Contract manufacturing of low cost to premium branded and organic/natural products would be an advantage.
- Strong knowledge of basic chemistry, including emulsions, emollients, sunscreens and surfactants is essential. Knowledge of formulating bath and body, skin care, hair care, hair styling, sunscreens or organic/natural would be advantageous.
- Interpersonal skills and cross functional working abilities.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), conveying views and ideas logically and gives formal presentations internally and/or externally. Interacts effectively within project teams and takes responsibility for delivering work plans.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Word and Excel.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with the ability to work unsupervised, using their own initiative, with a passion for cosmetics
- Excellent organisation skills and time management, with the ability to plan, conduct and report laboratory experiments carefully and accurately
- Excellent problem solving skills, and experience of working to GMP, BRC standards.
SALARY & WORKING HOURS
£37,000 - £42,000 depending on experience.
Full time, Monday to Friday, normal office hours.
30 days holiday including bank holidays with the option to purchase 5 extra days.
Job Ref: 5769