A leading Health & Beauty manufacturer has an exciting opportunity for a Technical Development Manager to join its team. Your role will be to lead and develop technical functions in cosmetic product manufacture; including development, scaling up, industrialising and product transfer. To be considered, you must have proven in cosmetic or FMCG formulation and knowledge of tech transfer.
The role will manage the Product Development team in formulating products for customers, ensuring compliance of products with the appropriate regulations followed by overseeing the process of transferring and scaling up these products into the factories.
Leading the cross-site Process Development Team the role will also be responsible for supporting the team in technical product transfers (internally and from customers), trouble shooting and implementing best practice across the business including other factories in the group.
You will be comfortable dealing with customers, managing a technical team and providing technical support to the factory.
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to the development chemists, regulatory team, technicians and other supporting functions
- Manage the day-to-day running of the development lab
- Manage the technical transfer of developed and contract products into the operations department.
- Manage the Nutritional function of the wider Development team
- Ensure all formulations meet the customers’ brief, cost targets and agreed timeframes
- Ensure all formulation development is undertaken in compliance with the regulatory requirements of the intended markets
- Manage pilot scale processes, where required and full scale 1st production batch manufacture of both in-house and customer-supplied formulations
- Provide formulation expertise and guidance to all functions of the business and to customers as necessary
- Liaise with regulatory bodies, consultants and suppliers to ensure regulatory knowledge is up to date
- Manage data and processes of COPTIS regulatory software across all sites
- Ensure the development team follow health & Safety, GMP and ethical requirements at all times
- Carry out any other reasonable duties at the request of the Commercial Director
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Educated to degree level in a Chemistry related subject – Essential
- Diploma in Cosmetic Science – Desired
- Proven experience in developing cosmetics and personal care formulations from first principles, through to scale-up and full-scale manufacture – Essential
- Proven knowledge of tech transfer of product from development into operations - Essential
- Good knowledge of European legislation and awareness of global market regulatory requirements, including import/export requirements – Desired
- Knowledge of nutritional supplement formulation and legislation – Desired
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical and medical device legislation – Desired
- Experience of managing and working in a GMP environment – Essential
- Knowledge of COPTIS formulation software or a similar program – Desired
- Working knowledge of HACCP legislation - Desired
- Ability to handle multiple demands, to be self-managing and to work under pressure – Essential
- Ability to gain respect and credibility both within the team and the wider business through demonstration of technical knowledge, experience and transferrable skills – Essential
- Ability to build strong relationships with both internal and external customers, suppliers and regulatory bodies – Essential
- A confident people person able to communicate effectively with all levels of the business
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to listen, discuss and advise
- Strong hands-on management skills with a proven ability to lead. Inspire, motivate and mentor team members
- A team player, both confident and decisive
- A pro-active solution-provider
- Flexible. Able to react and respond positively to changes in priority and workload
- Advanced level of literacy and numeracy
Salary £45k - £55k
Job Ref: 6446