A rapidly expanding spin-out company is seeking a talented Chemical Engineer to join its team in Cambridge. The business focuses on a natural alternative to plastic, stemming from plant-based protein – a first of its kind in industry.
As Applications Scientist, you will play an important role in supporting the research and development team in material research, coupled with helping management keep risk assessments and SDSs up to date.
You will possess excellent academics (BSc/MSc) in Chemistry (or related) and can bring previous experience working with films, coatings, resins, or dispersions.
Applications Scientist responsibilities
- Supporting the Research and Development team in material research and characterisation studies.
- Leading parts of dispersion process improvements and resins for seed coatings project.
- Supporting other technical projects within the Research and Development function such as analytical measurements of materials.
- Assisting the Lab Manager, keeping risk assessments, material safety data sheets and COSHH forms up to date.
- Putting together specifications for customer samples and assisting with goods out.
Applications Scientist requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in a discipline relating to Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material science (or equivalent in skills and experience).
- Experience working in an industrial laboratory environment – ideally working with either films, coatings, resins and/or dispersions.
- Experience of supporting a team and executing experiments with close attention to detail.
- The ability to work efficiently, multitask and be a team player.
- Good note taking skills and recording of experimental work.
- An individual with a can-do attitude who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
In return, there is a real opportunity for the successful candidate to join a progressive business who are leading the way on innovation and development of alternative plastic materials.
Competitive salary + company benefits
Job Ref: 7000