Due to continued growth and further funding, a CRO is forming a new Cell Biology Group. They have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Cell Biology to join its team. Your role will be to build your own cell biology team to then increase the portfolio of cell lines and cell biology technologies for use in customer research programmes. To be considered, you will have a practical background in cellular and molecular biology including strong experience in cell line generation and expression vectors. Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
Duties will include the following:
- Working with the senior management team to develop and prosecute a strategy to create new cell lines expressing ion channels and, where applicable, appropriate accessory subunits.
- Provision of technical expertise for the identification and implementation of new ion channel cell biology technologies
- Performing hands on cell biology laboratory work, to include:
o Conceiving, planning, design, execution and supervision of experiments.
o Efficient authoring of protocols and documentation of study results.
o Presentation of results at team meetings and providing recommendations for future strategy.
o Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Line management of the cell biology team.
- Liaison with the lab team to establish and validate ion channel cell lines of sufficient quality for the provision of assay services to clients.
- Leading the identification and implementation of new technologies at to aid in the generation of new cell lines.
Essential Skills Qualifications:
- Demonstratable experience in eukaryotic cell culture and protein expression.
- Expertise in molecular biology and conducting experiments to generate cell-based expression systems, including stable and transient transfection methodology.
- Knowledge of cell-based assays or developing of screening assays using heterologous cell-based expression systems and stem cells.
- Experience with leading scientific teams, developing and implementing experimental research plans. Line management experience, especially with respect to developing a team.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to record and maintain accurate written records.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, time management, organisational and written/ oral communication skills.
- PhD in Lifesciences with at least three years’ experience of laboratory research experience. BSc or MSc with at least five years of laboratory research experience.
- Experience of working in a busy industrial/commercial laboratory environment.
- Knowledge and/or experience of patch clamp electrophysiology (manual or automated).
Salary £45k - £55k
Job Ref: 6816