An internationally renowned chemicals business is currently recruiting for a Materials Scientist to join their state-of-the-art facility in Manchester. As Materials Scientist, you will play a pivotal role in providing key analytical support (surface analysis) to all areas of the business whilst having the ability to contribute to the development of the quality management system.
To be considered, you should demonstrate a strong academic profile (degree or PhD in Chemistry/Physics) coupled with extensive knowledge of analytical techniques, in particular advanced microscopy & SEM.
Materials Scientist responsibilities
- Provide analytical support (microscopy, SEM) to all areas of the business with expertise in the field of analytical testing and the development and use of database resources.
- Provide advice on the application of surface analysis techniques to a wide range of problem solving, supporting all business units.
- Contribute to the development of the quality management system with writing/ updating laboratory procedures, monitoring and maintaining equipment and records and conducting occasional audits as required.
- Responsible for a variety of customer enquiries in characterization of surface properties and problem-solving defects in surface prints and laminated materials.
- Undertake specific projects, using appropriate tools where required, in order to improve efficiency, reduce cost, introduce a concept or make other notable changes. Validate methods to demonstrate performance in line with customer expectations. Champion new instrumentation. Develop and improve the performance or application of existing equipment with the aim of creating efficiency or cost savings in the laboratory.
Materials Scientist requirements
- Degree level qualification or PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science or closely related.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of analytical techniques & instrumentation – microscopy, SEM/SEM-EDX, Atomic Force Microscopy, FTIR, UV-Vis, Rheology and Tribology.
- Demonstrate good understanding of advanced microscopy.
- Ability to work well independently and within a team.
- Excellent communication skills with the willingness to continuously improve.
In return, the company can provide an excellent platform to excel your career coupled with the scope to progress into senior roles in the near future. Competitive salary + excellent company benefits + flexible working hours.