Provide strong scientific & technical expertise in the development of SOC technologies from concept to product launch. You will act as a subject matter expert and provide scientific and technical expertise.
- Deliver improved materials and processes required to meet project technical objectives within agreed timescales.
- Complete background research into innovative materials and processing routes and create strategies for development.
- Create, implement, and support strategies to characterise the performance and stability of the fuel cell.
- Present technical progress and timing against delivery targets to the technical management and program management office.
- Transfer of process developments into the cell and stack manufacturing team.
- Support processes for the development and manufacture of components used in SOC Technologies, and be a trouble-shooter providing solutions to technical challenges faced in projects.
- Support resolution of issues (technical, scientific, analytical, IP, etc) that affect, or have the potential to affect, the development of SOC Technologies, component manufacturing processes, meeting “life” and “cost” targets for product development.
- Identify and analyse design problems to achieve optimal solutions that satisfy cost and technical requirements using both internal and external technical resources. Formulate new, innovative approaches to solve technical problems on a consistent basis.
- Support definition of new and existing materials engineering design requirements and develop specifications in accordance with manufacturing, marketing, and customer expectations and requirements.
- Communicate key information and recommendations to influence technical decisions and strategy.
- Support the company’s in-house analytical characterisation and data analysis capabilities to ensure they are developed sufficiently and used and maintained effectively to meet materials characterisation requests.
Qualification, Knowledge and Experience:
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field.
- Scientific knowledge/understanding of some of the following: ceramics materials and processing, metallurgy, electro-ceramics, ceramic sintering, electrochemistry, organometallic chemistry, polymer chemistry, sol-gels and colloids.
- Experience with some of the following materials characterisation techniques: SEM with EDS/WDX, XRD, PSD, STA/DTA, BET, dilatometry, FIB-SEM, XRF, ACIS/EIS, rheology, electrochemical testing, indentation and mechanical properties testing, 3D tomography, SIMS, ICP-MS.
- Experience with some of the following manufacturing processes: screen printing, ink formulation and manufacturing processes, other thin film deposition processes, ceramic sintering, laser drilling and/or welding.
- candidate needs to demonstrate entrepreneurial and can-do attitude to meet the goals of a fast-paced technology development environment.
Highly desirable skills:
- In-depth understanding degradation mechanisms of materials in both SOFC and SOEC mode.
- Experience of modelling of SOC electrodes.
- Expertise in 6-sigma/DoE techniques.
- Experience in working with high volume ceramic manufacturing.
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills.
Internal & External Relationships:
- Reporting directly into the Senior Principal Scientist as part of the Fuel Cell Development team, with day-to-day supervision.
- Working in multi-disciplinary, cross function project team providing technical expertise on the cell technology with specific focus on materials science and processing.
- Regular progress reporting to the technical management team and program management office.
- Working with external experts to develop knowledge and capability in processes and characterisation methods.
Competitive Salary + Benefits - 25 days’ annual leave - Contributory pension scheme (2% by employee 6% by the company with the option to increase to 3% and 8% respectively) - Life Assurance scheme at 4x gross annual salary.
Job Ref: 6748